Waiting list for section 8 in Florida is closed

The main NHPB site has more information on local rent assistance programs.
gibbs
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Waiting list for section 8 in Florida is closed

Post by gibbs »

I am living in my parents home in Sarasota, FL. The home that I am living in is facing foreclosure, so at some point I will have to move. I am searching for a permanent job and I would like help with rent assistance in the Miami Dade, FL area. I was going to apply for a section 8 voucher, but I am being told that this program is currently closed. I don't know what else to do. Anyone have any thoughts?
P Palmer

Re: Waiting list for section 8 in Florida is closed

Post by P Palmer »

I am a single mother of 2. I want to know if I can get housing assistance? I am unemployed at the moment and currently in school. I was residing with my ailing mother which recently passed away. I was getting by with housing due to her benefits and contributions from friend and family but she is deceased so all of the help I was getting because I was care giver. I am in Miramar Florida but if I can become a HUD/section 8 recipient I would gladly move from Miramar but of course in a safe neighborhood for my kids.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

As noted, section 8 normally has a multiple year long waiting list. If you are unemployed, the chances of the state of Florida or HUD helping you is very limited. You need a source of income for your future rent. You may need to find a friend or relative to live with as well as your children. But try the HUD section 8 program as well, and more information is here. http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... orida.html
DameronG

Post by DameronG »

Good morning, I was living in section 8 APT "Cambridge square apartment". I moved to New York in 8/2009 to live with my children. I became sick with some hearth Issue, I have a ICD (pace maker) implanted on 11/2014. I'm no longer working. I received Social Security Disability at $918.00 a month. When it is cold and Freezing I can't go out the machine.
I decide to move back to Fort Lauderdale Florida. I went and apply for section 8 apartment in Broward Garden. It might take longer for me to move in as the waiting list is closed. Please how can I get a permanent low income apartment to live? I plan to move on July because I have 2 legal custody grand children live with me.
School will end on June 26. It starts in August in Florida and I need to move before the next winter. I don't like to share room too much problem. Can I get some rent assistance please? I hope hear from you. Thanks,
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Good luck. Doesn't everyone want some affordable, low income apartment right now? The fact is there is often a long wait. Usually years in Broward County. That is the fact of live when seeking something for less money that everyone else. Maybe you and the grandkids can live with others (friends, relatives, etc.) while you save money to live independently. As far as other advice, try this for information on section 8 and other housing resources.
http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... _prog.html